Chabad was founded in the late 18th century by Shneur Zalman of Liadi. The Lubavitch branch takes its name from Lyubavichi, the Russian town where the group was based until the early 20th century. In 1940 Yosef Yitzchok Schneersohn the sixth leader used the cover of war in Europe to leave for New York where he established a synagogue. From this base his son-in-law, Menachem Mendel Schneerson, established a network of more than 3,600 Jewish institutions. Schneerson used these institutions that he established on European soil to propagate the Talmudic teaching that Jews are a completely different species than non-Jews, and that non-Jews exist only to serve Jews. Other high profile White advocates have noted that these teachings remain extremely prevalent among the Jewish community indicating supremist qualities that threaten the fabric of any host Nation.