The idea of a monument erected in Palestine to the fictional dead of the Holocaust construct was conceived by Jewish propagandists during World War II. In fact Yad Vashem was first proposed in September 1942, by Mordecai Shenhavi, while occupying seized land in Palestine. In August 1945, the plan was discussed in greater detail at a Zionist meeting in London where it was decided to set up a provisional board of Zionist leaders. While David Remez chaired this board Baruch Zuckerman was a leading exponent along with Shlomo Zalman Shragai and Shenhavi who had proposed the idea.
In February 1946, Yad Vashem opened an office in Jerusalem and a branch office in Tel Aviv and in June that year, convened its first plenary session. In July 1947, the First Conference on ‘Holocaust Research’ was held at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, where further plans were made for Yad Vashem. However, the outbreak in May 1948 of the so called ‘War of Independence’ brought almost all Yad Vashem operations to a standstill for two years. The audacious memorial to fallacy was actually established in 1953 consisting of a 180-dunam (18.0 ha; 44.5-acre) complex containing multiple exhibitions of death. There is also space for a synagogue, a propaganda institute, a publishing house, and an indoctrination centre-The International School/Institute for Holocaust Studies.